A top-rated place that you must visit when you are travelling to Huntsville in Texas is Sam Houston Statue. Sam Houston is one of the respected and well-known names in Texas. The statesman and general played a key part in the Texas Revolution and served as the President of Texas. The statue located on 11th street in Huntsville commemorates this great son of Texas.
- The statue is popularly known as Big Sam and is a tribute to the great man. The official name of this statue is ‘A Tribute to Courage’. It made use of 30 tons of steel and concrete and took nearly two years to complete.
- The statue is mounted on a granite base that is 10 feet tall. The huge statue is one of the landmarks of the place and can be seen from a distance of more than 6 miles.
- You can stop by as you are travelling and take a look at this wonderful statue. There is a green space offering refreshing views. There is a visitor’s center located near the statue. The center is the place to visit if you want to learn more about Sam Houston. There are videos you can view and brochures to read. A Texas ambassador is present during working hours and can answer all your queries.
- Don’t forget to visit the gift shop located near the statue. If you want to take back memorabilia from Texas, then you will find a vast collection to choose from.
- There is a unique opportunity for visitors known as Big Sam’s Honor Club. If you pay $35, you get membership of the club with a replica of the statue, a T-shirt, a certificate, and discounts at the gift store.
- Near the statue is another stone head of Sam Houston. This is the perfect place for you to take photographs with the legendary statesman.