The Montgomery County Jail was built by Pauly Jail Company in St. Louis, Missouri in 1855. Cells were in wooden one room building that sat next to the courthouse which was located on this lot. Cells were moved down to Conroe. Cells remained at railroad until being moved to its present location in 1981 by A.E. Smallwood of the Montgomery Civic Association.
The building that housed them is long gone, but the old iron cells still stand near where they served the County in the 1800’s.